Never Ever Ever

Never Ever Ever
Brad Choen

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Potentially Employed

I have gotten a call from a local pet store for a job interview. I am so excited but so scared. My Tics have been really enthusiastic. I went back and forth if I should just wait to tell my potential boss about my TS. The American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) forbids them from asking and discriminating me for it and we can only discuss it if I bring it up or my disability makes my ability to do my job difficult.
After a while of thinking I decided to be open and honest with theme even bring in my Medical ID cards. I even looked up some common interview questions and wrote down how I might answer them, and waved in positive things about my TS.
When asked to describe myself, I explain how my TS has helped shape me into a positive person, made me sensitive to other's disabilities and very empathetic, not to mention able to laugh at myself.
I say a weakness of mine is I take a little longer to do some tasks such as cleaning because my OCD makes me want things just so. On the plus side, I have been known to be a very thorough cleaner!
If they ask me if I have any questions for them, I plan on asking if they have ever hired anyone else with Tourette's or any other disability, and how they got along in the store. Mostly, I just want to see if they have had any positive or negative past with a disabled person of any kind. If it's negative, I will aim to be better. If the answer is positive, well, I have some big shoes to fill!!! :)
Well, my interview is in 10 hours. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment