Never Ever Ever

Never Ever Ever
Brad Choen

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Stigma, bullies, and the sort (graphic)

Since it is currently Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month (May 15 - June 15), I have been nonstop posting awareness videos, pictures and websites on all my social media pages. Though today, I got in a few fights with some ignorant, intolerant and frankly, disgusting boys.
I put teal highlights in my hair and painted my nails teal (teal is the color of Tourette's like pink is the color of breast cancer) and took a picture. I posted it on a website called Whisper with a caption reading, "I have Tourette's, but Tourette's doesn't have me". Nothing could have prepared me for the responses. Disgusting comments came pouring in.
"I'm rock hard"
"You're sexy- more pics!"
They got worse and worse. I have never blocked more people in one hour (let alone one day) in my life! All it was was a picture of my face! I was showing off my teal hair. Apparently, going with the common misconception that everyone with Tourette's swears, it attracts more guys than milkshakes in the yard.
Though, as you may know I do have Coprolalia (swearing and offensive language), I didn't dear admit that to these boys. I tried at first to educate them. "Only about 10% of people with TS swear. It's called Coprolalia" I told them the jokes they were making were not funny to me. I asked them to stop. That just made it worse. I ignored it, but the comments kept coming in. I logged off and came back on an hour later and more disturbing comments greeted me. To say I was furious would be an understatement. I was less pleasant. I told them "Shut up", "F*ck Off", I even made a new Whisper post stating, 'I will not, nor will I ever send "sexy" or nude pictures. You have two hands, solve your own problems." Uncalled for? Perhaps. By this point though, I didn't care. I began blocking people left and right. However not fast enough to avoid a few comments to my new Whisper.
"Yeah, two hands. One for each boob." I couldn't resist. "Oh you have boobs. I'm sorry, I thought only girls had those. Maybe you should get that looked at. *BLOCK*
I never thought I'd be hassled like this for trying to spread awareness. Made fun of? Sure. I was prepared for swearing jokes and stuff like that; but sexual harassment? Good Lord.
I won't take my pictures down. I won't stop spreading awareness. I won't let these guys get the best of me. I will not let them win. I will not let Tourette's win. I will keep posting. I will keep barking and twitching till Tourette's is not the punchline of  a stupid joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment